Blue Cheese Dressing (Keto)
Earthy, savory, and creamy blue cheese dressing made with all whole food ingredients to make your salads shine! This easy and delicious dressing tastes better than anything you will buy in the stores or have in the restaurant. I love the tangy and sharp flavors you get with a nice blue cheese, and in this recipe I chose to go with a classic Stilton. However, feel free to use your favorite version, whether it’s a creamy Gorgonzola or a rich sheep milk Roquefort.
This dressing is a family favorite because it doubles as an easy dip to fresh cut veggies, is awesome in a wrap, or serve it as a cool side with some spicy grilled buffalo wings! With this simple 2-step recipe, you’ll be enjoying this chunky blue cheese dressing without all the inflammatory ingredients found in the store bought versions. The best part, it’s gluten free and customizable, I love to add extra chunks of blue cheese to mine!!
Why Whole Milk versus Low-Fat Milk
As a functional nutritionist, I always recommend to my clients that they eat foods in their whole form, and this includes all dairy. Anytime you remove a whole group of foods from your diet, like fats, your diet becomes nutrient deficient and overtime, you may begin to experience symptoms of a deficiency.
Whole milk and other dairy products like cheese and yogurt contain lots of vitamins, minerals, and are a good source of carbohydrates, protein, and fat . In general, I do not recommend eating dairy products that are low-fat or non-fat. There are a few reasons for this:
- Many non-fat and low-fat products have replaced the fat that has been removed with fillers, thickeners, and sugar yielding a products that is not a whole food and potentially inflammatory.
- Dairy products often contains the fat soluble vitamins A, E, K and D…and did you know that in order for your body to absorb these fat soluble vitamins, you must have fat in your diet? A low fat diet reduces the bile released by your gall bladder therefor reducing the absorption of your essential fatty acids and fat soluble vitamins.
- Taste. Yes, taste. Fat makes food taste good and creates satiety from our meals. If you think about your macros in regards to a fire, the carbohydrates are like the kindling for the fire, they burn fast and are quickly used up. The fats in your diet are like the fire log, it burns at a more steady rate for a longer period of time.
So grab some good cheese from your favorite store and let’s get cooking!
Blue Cheese Dressing Ingredients
Makes about 2 Cups
1 cup Full-Fat Sour Cream
1/4 cup Whole Milk
2 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Tbsp No Sugar Mayonnaise
1/3-1/2 cup Stilton Blue Cheese, crumbled
1 Tbsp Fresh Chives, finely diced
1/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt or Pink Salt
1/8 tsp Ground Black pepper
How to Make Blue Cheese Dressing
1. If you purchased your blue cheese in a block or wedge, crumble it and set it aside.
2. In a small bowl, add the sour cream, milk, apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper. Whisk to combine until smooth and creamy.
3. Stir in the blue cheese crumble and chives.
4. Transfer to a glass jar with a lid for storage.
5. Store in an airtight jar in the refrigerator until ready to eat, will keep for 5-7 days.
Like this Video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy, whole food recipes! Want to be notified when I post a new video? Click on the bell icon and you’ll get a notification when new recipes are uploaded! Happy Healthy Eating!!
Q: Can I substitute white vinegar for the apple cider vinegar is blue cheese dressing?
A: Yes, you can use your favorite vinegar, I just love ACV in my dressings!
Q: How long will homemade blue cheese dressing last?
A: Although my blue cheese dressing doesn’t typically last this long, it’s best to consume within a week.
Q: Do you like to use pre-crumbled or a whole block of blue cheese for this dressing?
A: I always prefer to use a block in everything I use cheese in as there are less chemicals/preservatives, and I think the flavor of the cheese is much better.
If you like this recipe, check these out!
Wedge Salad: Crisp iceberg lettuce topped with juicy tart tomatoes, crispy bacon, and creamy homemade blue cheese dressing! Its better than the restaurants, I promise!!
Grilled Buffalo Wings: Swimming in my wicked wing sauce, these wings pair perfectly with this cool, creamy, and savory blue cheese dressing!
Savory Blue Cheese Dip: Love this homemade blue cheese dressing but want a thicker version for your veggie sticks? This dip is everything you’re looking for!
I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does. – Amy
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to the products and kitchen gear I love. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Almond Milk and Cookies!
I am a holistic nutritionist with an auto-immune disorder, a love of cooking, and a passion for holistic health.
Sharing what I make and eat with all of you…in hopes that you find inspiration here to fuel your body and feel your best with nutrient dense whole foods and clean eating.