Kohlrabi Apple Slaw (Paleo, Whole30)
Sweet, tangy, crisp kohlrabi slaw with juicy apples in a bright lime vinaigrette is the perfect veggie forward side dish. I just love how all the flavors and textures are perfectly balanced, especially when they are dancing in that mouthwatering vinaigrette! If you’re looking for an easy, light slaw recipe to jazz up your next dinner or barbecue, try this amazing kohlrabi and apple slaw, you will love it!
In my line of work, I am always encouraging my clients to “eat the rainbow” and add as many fresh vegetables and fruits to their diets, and that includes lots of variety! The nutritional content of each item differs from the next, red bell peppers have a different nutrient profile than green bell peppers, so adding some new or different foods to your diet is always a win! If you like broccoli, you will love kohlrabi and will probably want to find more tasty ways to add it to your diet.
What is Kohlrabi and Why is it So Good For You?
Kohlrabi, also known as a German turnip, is one of my FA-VOR-ITE veggies when it comes into season in the fall and winter. This awesome cruciferous veggie is part of the Brassica family along with broccoli, cauliflower, and arugula, and is just amazing roasted or in a fresh slaw like this one! It has a mild flavor that tastes like a radish and cauliflower got married and I love the fibrous and crunch texture!
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine): There are many benefits from a diet rich in vitamin B6. It plays a role in our immune health, metabolism, and brain health. Vitamin B6 is essential in creating neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin, which play a role in emotional health and sleep .
- Vitamin B9 (folate): This vitamin is essential in the production of your genetic material (DNA and RNA), supports metabolism, and works with other B vitamins in regulating homocysteine .
- Vitamin C: A powerful antioxidant that reduces oxidative stress, improves the absorption of non-heme iron, supports the immune system, and healthy bones .
- Potassium: Plays a role in your body’s hydration and cellular fluid balance, with sodium being the counter balance.
- Magnesium: A mineral that is essential in healthy metabolism, nervous system regulation, detoxification, and blood sugar regulation.
- Manganese: Essential mineral in supporting blood sugar regulation, glucose metabolism, and supporting healthy brain and nerve function .
Kohlrabi is full of insoluble and soluble fiber that supports the digestive system as well as overall health.
- Insoluble fiber: bulking fiber that keeps things moving along through the digestive system promoting healthy detoxification and waste removal.
- Soluble fiber: absorbs water and gels in the digestive tract slowing the absorption of carbohydrates therefor supporting blood sugar regulation and feeds the beneficial bacteria in the microbiome.
So grab some beautiful kohlrabi and let’s get cooking!
Kohlrabi Apple Slaw Ingredients
Makes 6-8 servings
1 Kohlrabi, peeled and julienned
1 Apple, cut into matchsticks
1/4 Head of Red cabbage, shredded
1/4 cup Fresh Cilantro, minced
3 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
3 Tbsp EVOO
1 Tbsp Unsweetened Whole Grain Mustard
1 Tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
1/2 tsp Sea salt or Pink Salt
1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
How to Make Kohlrabi Apple Slaw
1. In a large bowl whisk together the lime juice, EVOO, mustard, maple syrup, salt and pepper.
2. Wash all the produce and peel the kohlrabi using a vegetable or Y-peeler.
3. Julienne the apple and kohlrabi and using a mandolin or sharp knife, shred the cabbage and add them to the bowl with the vinaigrette.
4. Roughly chop the cilantro adding to the slaw and gently toss with tongs to evenly coat.
Like this Video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy, whole food recipes! Want to be notified when I post a new video? Click on the bell icon and you’ll get a notification when new recipes are uploaded! Happy Healthy Eating!!
Q: Can I make kohlrabi slaw ahead of time?
A: Yes, kohlrabi is very hearty and will hold up really well if you made this a few hours in advance.
Q: How long will kohlrabi slaw keep?
A: I would keep it stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and enjoy within 1-2 days.
Q: What does kohlrabi taste like?
A: Kohlrabi is very crisp and crunchy in texture and has a mild flavor that resembles a broccoli stem.
I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does. – Amy
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to the products and kitchen gear I love. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Almond Milk and Cookies!
I am a holistic nutritionist with an auto-immune disorder, a love of cooking, and a passion for holistic health.
Sharing what I make and eat with all of you…in hopes that you find inspiration here to fuel your body and feel your best with nutrient dense whole foods and clean eating.