Paleo Barbecue Smoked Cauliflower (Whole30, Keto)
Smoked barbecue cauliflower is perfectly tender, oh so smoky, and bursting with a tangy zip from homemade barbecue sauce. This mouthwatering cauliflower is one dish I with I had Smell-O-Vision for…the aroma is just incredible and is the supreme summer side dish or vegan main course you’ve been looking for! With less than 5-minutes of prep and only an hour on the smoker, you’ll soon be enjoying this ah-mazing and flavorful dish!
There are more reasons to love this dish outside of it’s delicious flavor and texture!! When paired with my Paleo Barbecue Sauce, you have a dish that accommodates Keto, Paleo, Whole30, vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free lifestyles with ingredients that bring tons of flavor without any refined sugar, oil, salt or flour. This is a dish you can feel great about serving at your next cookout, or if you’re looking for an easy and hassle free weeknight meal!
Why is Cauliflower So Good for You?
Cauliflower belongs to the cruciferous family of vegetables with broccoli, arugula, and cabbage. I love how versatile it is and how it is found in so many dishes from all over the world! It’s delicate flavor and hearty texture make it a great addition to veggie platters, curries, hummus, and more!
Creative ways to add more cauliflower to your whole food diet:
- Mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes
- Roasted with your favorite seasonings: so good with Garam Masala!
- Make a light and yummy hummus!
- Add it to soups or stews
- Make a delicious curry
- Enjoy it raw with a savory blue cheese dip!
- Be creative and enjoy this super nutritious food!
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine): There are many benefits from a diet rich in vitamin B6. It plays a role in our immune health, metabolism, and brain health. Vitamin B6 is essential in creating neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin, which play a role in emotional health and sleep .
- Vitamin B9 (folate): This vitamin is essential in the production of your genetic material (DNA and RNA), supports metabolism, and works with other B vitamins in regulating homocysteine .
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): Supports metabolic pathways and plays a role in making red blood cells.
- Vitamin C: A powerful antioxidant that reduces oxidative stress, improves the absorption of non-heme iron, supports the immune system, and healthy bones .
- Vitamin K: Vitamin K1 is essential in your body’s clotting ability and is converted to vitamin K2 in your gut. Vitamin K2 is essential in maintaining healthy bones and skin.
- Phosphorus: Supports healthy teeth and bones, muscle recovery after working out, and detoxification.
- Manganese: Essential mineral in supporting blood sugar regulation, glucose metabolism, and supporting healthy brain and nerve function .
- Potassium: Plays a role in your body’s hydration and cellular fluid balance, with sodium being the counter balance.
- Magnesium: The fourth most abundant mineral in the body, it support healthy nerve functions, healthy blood pressure, and detoxification.
Fiber: Around three grams of insoluble fiber per cup! Insoluble fiber is essential in gut health and promotes healthy movement!
Choline: An essential nutrient that many people are actually deficient in! Choline is necessary in the production of phosphatidylcholine and sphingomyelin: phospholipids necessary for cell membrane health. It is also essential in the production of acetylcholine, a vital neurotransmitter in brain and nervous system health .
Antioxidants: Several including sulforaphane, a powerful antioxidant that supports the production of glutathione, neutralizes free radicals and reduces oxidative stress, and reduces inflammation .
Low Glycemic: Cauliflower is a great source of nutrients and it will not cause a spike in your blood sugars, and due to the fiber it contains, may help to keep your blood sugars more stabilized.
So grab some cauliflower and let’s get cooking!
Paleo Barbecue Smoked Cauliflower
1 large Head of Cauliflower, trimmed
1 Tbsp EVOO or Avocado Oil
1 tsp Fine Sea Salt or Pink Salt
1 tsp Ground Black Pepper
Your Favorite Barbecue Spice Blend (I love Paleo Pink)
1/2 cup Paleo Barbecue Sauce
How to Make Paleo Barbecue Smoked Cauliflower
1. Preheat the smoker to 250 degrees.
2. Rinse the cauliflower under cool water and dry.
3. Trim off the stems and large leaves from the bottom.
4. Lightly brush the cauliflower with EVOO or avocado oil and season with salt and pepper or your seasoning blend.
In a small bowl add the EVOO/avocado oil, salt and pepper, or your favorite seasoning. Mix well and brush the cauliflower with the seasoned oil.
5. Cover smoke at 250 degrees for 40-45 mins and then generously baste with Paleo Barbecue Sauce. You can do this step a few times if you want a nice thick layer of barbecue sauce on the cauliflower.
6. Cover and continue to smoke another 15-20 minutes until tender (I like to use a small paring knife to check).
7. Remove, slice and serve with extra barbecue sauce!
Like this Video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy, whole food recipes! Want to be notified when I post a new video? Click on the bell icon and you’ll get a notification when new recipes are uploaded! Happy Healthy Eating!!
Q: How do I keep my smoked cauliflower from drying out on the smoker?
A: You can either boil the cauliflower for about 5-minutes before smoking it to get the cooking process started, or you can baste the cauliflower sooner and more often. Just be sure to check the doneness before removing, opening the lid to the smoker will increase the cook time if done too frequently.
Q: How do I keep my smoked cauliflower from getting too mushy?
A: You can check for doneness with a sharp paring knife, You want there to be a slight resistance when you slice into the head, but not so much that it’s still raw in the middle.
Q: Help, my cauliflower head has some brown spots on it, is it still okay to use?
A: Yes! Not all is lost, in fact, my cauliflower heads in the video had a few spots as well! Just take a pairing knife and slice the spots off!
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to the products and kitchen gear I love. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Almond Milk and Cookies!
I am a holistic nutritionist with an auto-immune disorder, a love of cooking, and a passion for holistic health.
Sharing what I make and eat with all of you…in hopes that you find inspiration here to fuel your body and feel your best with nutrient dense whole foods and clean eating.