Pumpkin Spice Energy Bites (Paleo, Whole30)
Warm spices, sweet caramel-y dates, and loads of protein, these tasty and nutrient-dense energy bites are the perfect snack for your hungry family! What I love the most about these, outside of the fact that they are pumpkin spice, is how quick they come together and that they contain zero additives, chemicals or preservatives. I can trust that my family is getting a super nutritious snack that will keep them fueled, focused, and thriving!
If you love pumpkin spice as much as I do, them I’m pretty sure you will not only fall in love with these, but so will your gut. These decadent energy bites taste more like a dessert and are filled with vitamins, minerals, protein, and fiber! The fiber from all the delicious goodies in this energy ball is great for keeping your digestive tract healthy as well as fueling and feeding the beneficial microbes in your microbiome. So the next time you’re searching for a healthy snack, make one that is fabulous for your gut health too!
Why Pumpkin is So Good For You!
Pumpkins belong to the squash family of produce and are also considered gourds and many people choose to also use them for fall decorations. These orange beauties are full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidant, and fiber so adding them to a whole food diet is a great way and tasty way to add orange foods into your diet.
- Vitamin A (Beta-carotene): Beta-carotene is a powerful antioxidant that neutralizes free radicals and reduces oxidative stress and is also converted to vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is essential in the health of your eyes, skin, bones, kidneys, and lungs.
- Vitamin B1 (thiamine): A water soluble vitamin that is essential in glucose metabolism and supports health heart and nervous system function.
- Vitamin B6: A water soluble vitamin that is essential in metabolic pathways, RBC production, and in the production of neurotransmitters.
- Vitamin B9 (folate): A water soluble vitamin that is essential during pregnancy in the formation of the neural tube .
- Calcium: The most abundant mineral in the body and is essential in heart health, muscle function and support strong bones and teeth.
- Copper: Essential mineral in the formation of red blood cells and in supporting cardiovascular health and immune function .
- Magnesium: The fourth most abundant mineral in the body, it support healthy nerve functions, healthy blood pressure, and detoxification.
- Manganese: Essential mineral in supporting blood sugar regulation, glucose metabolism, and supporting healthy brain and nerve function .
- Potassium: is the third most abundant mineral in your body and functions like an electrolyte (positively charged) once consumed. Electrolytes are important in their role in healthy nerve conduction and muscle contractions.
Pumpkins are a great source of fiber (about 2.5 grams in 1 cup of mashed pumpkin!) containing both soluble and insoluble fiber!
- Insoluble fiber supports healthy digestion and movement through the GI tract.
- Soluble fiber supports a healthy microbiome and supports health blood sugars.
So grab some pumpkin purée and let’s get cooking!
Pumpkin Spice Energy Bites Ingredients
Makes 12-18 servings
10 pitted Medjool Dates
1/4 cup raw Almond Butter
1/4 cup Pumpkin Purée
1/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt
1 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
1/4 cup Ground Flax Meal
1/4 cup Hemp Seed
1/4 cup Chia Seed
1/2 tsp Pumpkin Spice
2 scoops Pumpkin Seed Protein powder or your favorite plain protein powder
1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Energy Bites
1. If you dates are in the refrigerator, take them out about an hour before making the energy bites to allow them to warm to room temperature.
2. In a food processor add the dates and roughly chop them up with a few pulses.
3. Add the almond butter, pumpkin purée, sea salt, vanilla and protein powder and process on low for about 30-60 seconds until a rough dough forms.
4. Add all the seeds and process another 30-60 seconds.
5. Chop the pecans and spread out into a thin layer over your cutting board.
6. Using a small dough scoop, roll the dough into a ball and then coat with the chopped pecans.
7. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Like this Video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy, whole food recipes! Want to be notified when I post a new video? Click on the bell icon and you’ll get a notification when new recipes are uploaded! Happy Healthy Eating!!
Q: How long will these keep?
A: These will keep in the refrigerator up to 7-days, if they last that long!
Q: Can I substitute out the protein powder for something else?
A: Yes! You could always try shredded coconut or even almond or coconut flour. Just be sure to add a small amount at a time until the consistency is reached.
Q: What if my dough is too sticky?
A: Try adding some more protein powder or shredded coconut to the dough until it’s rollable but not too moist.
Q: What if my dough is too dry?
A: You can add more dates, 1-2 at a time, or add a touch more almond butter until the desired consistency is reached.
Q: Can I make these into bars?
A: Absolutely! Press them into a parchment lined bar pan and refrigerate for at least 4-hours and top with chopped pecans, lightly pressing them into the dough so they stick. Slice and serve!
Q: Are these good for a vegan or plant based diet?
A: Yes! These energy bites are made with all vegan and whole food ingredients!
If you like this recipe, check these out!
Pumpkin Spice Granola: Warm fall spices in a crunchy no oil, no refined sugar granola you can feel good about and will want to eat every morning!
Paleo Pumpkin Scones: Made with all whole food ingredients, these are Paleo and Whole30 friendly, gluten free, dairy free and egg free!
Paleo Curried Pumpkin Soup: This silky and pretty much perfect pumpkin soup recipe is a tantalizing combination of warm spices, sweet pumpkin and rich coconut cream.
I hope you enjoy this as much as my family does. – Amy
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to the products and kitchen gear I love. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Almond Milk and Cookies!
I am a holistic nutritionist with an auto-immune disorder, a love of cooking, and a passion for holistic health.
Sharing what I make and eat with all of you…in hopes that you find inspiration here to fuel your body and feel your best with nutrient dense whole foods and clean eating.