If you’re searching for an epic side dish that has all the flavor, look no further! Tender roasted cauliflower seasoned with aromatic chili and tangy lime will outshine your main course! This simple and delicious dish will have your whole family going in for seconds just like mine! Pair this with your tacos, add it to a hearty salad, or serve it along side a mouthwatering steak!
Roasted Mexican Cauliflower (Paleo, Whole30, Keto)
When I made this for the first time, my youngest, who isn’t the biggest cauliflower fan (likes it but doesn’t love it), went in for seconds, and then for thirds! Maybe it’s from our time in San Antonio, but there is nothing better than the combination of chili and lime, and the beautiful flavor they bring to this dish! Make this and watch your family devour cauliflower like never before!
Why is Cauliflower So Good for You?
Cauliflower belongs to the cruciferous family of vegetables with broccoli, arugula, and cabbage. I love how versatile it is and how it is found in so many dishes from all over the world! It’s delicate flavor and hearty texture make it a great addition to veggie platters, curries, hummus, and more!
Creative ways to add more cauliflower to your whole food diet:
- Mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes
- Roasted with your favorite seasonings: so good with Garam Masala!
- Make a light and yummy hummus!
- Add it to soups or stews
- Make a delicious curry
- Enjoy it raw with a savory blue cheese dip!
- Be creative and enjoy this super nutritious food!
- Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine): There are many benefits from a diet rich in vitamin B6. It plays a role in our immune health, metabolism, and brain health. Vitamin B6 is essential in creating neurotransmitters like dopamine and serotonin, which play a role in emotional health and sleep .
- Vitamin B9 (folate): This vitamin is essential in the production of your genetic material (DNA and RNA), supports metabolism, and works with other B vitamins in regulating homocysteine .
- Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid): Supports metabolic pathways and plays a role in making red blood cells.
- Vitamin C: A powerful antioxidant that reduces oxidative stress, improves the absorption of non-heme iron, supports the immune system, and healthy bones .
- Vitamin K: Vitamin K1 is essential in your body’s clotting ability and is converted to vitamin K2 in your gut. Vitamin K2 is essential in maintaining healthy bones and skin.
- Phosphorus: Supports healthy teeth and bones, muscle recovery after working out, and detoxification.
- Manganese: Essential mineral in supporting blood sugar regulation, glucose metabolism, and supporting healthy brain and nerve function .
- Potassium: Plays a role in your body’s hydration and cellular fluid balance, with sodium being the counter balance.
- Magnesium: The fourth most abundant mineral in the body, it support healthy nerve functions, healthy blood pressure, and detoxification.
Fiber: Around three grams of insoluble fiber per cup! Insoluble fiber is essential in gut health and promotes healthy movement!
Choline: An essential nutrient that many people are actually deficient in! Choline is necessary in the production of phosphatidylcholine and sphingomyelin: phospholipids necessary for cell membrane health. It is also essential in the production of acetylcholine, a vital neurotransmitter in brain and nervous system health .
Antioxidants: Several including sulforaphane, a powerful antioxidant that supports the production of glutathione, neutralizes free radicals and reduces oxidative stress, and reduces inflammation .
Low Glycemic: Cauliflower is a great source of nutrients and it will not cause a spike in your blood sugars, and due to the fiber it contains, may help to keep your blood sugars more stabilized.
So grab some cauliflower and let’s get cooking!
Roasted Mexican Cauliflower Ingredients
Makes 3-4 Servings
1 Head of Cauliflower
2 Tbsp Fresh Lime Juice
2 Tbsp Avocado Oil or EVOO
1 tsp Fine Sea Salt
1 tsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Fresh Lime Zest
How to Make Roasted Mexican Cauliflower
1. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
2. Rinse and dry the cauliflower. Cut into 2″ pieces and add to a large bowl.
3. Drizzle over the avocado oil or EVOO and the lime juice.
4. Sprinkle over the chili powder and salt.
5. Toss to stir to evenly coat.
6. Transfer to a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes until cauliflower is tender and slightly browned.
7. Remove and transfer to a clean dish topping with fresh lime zest.
Like this Video? Subscribe to my YouTube cooking channel for healthy, whole food recipes! Want to be notified when I post a new video? Click on the bell icon and you’ll get a notification when new recipes are uploaded! Happy Healthy Eating!!
Q: My cauliflower is still hard and crunchy, should I keep cooking it?
A: Yes, oven temperatures will vary and I usually check a “test” piece with the cauliflower is more opaque in color and less white.
Q: My cauliflower cooked unevenly, some are hard, some are mushy, help!
A: You may have over crowded the pan. 1. Make sure you spread the cauliflower out in a single layer, using more baking sheets if necessary. 2. Stir and rotate the cauliflower around while cooking 1-2 times to cook evenly.
Q: I’m ready to cook, but my cauliflower is rubbery, what can I do?
A: It’s dehydrated. Go ahead and cut it into the 2″ pieces and add it to a large bowl of ice-cold water for 15-minutes. Add some ice if the water isn’t very cold. This will allow the cauliflower to absorb water and rehydrate.
If you like this recipe, check these out!
Bacon Chicken Quesadillas: Everything is better with bacon and that holds true with chicken quesadillas. Crispy flour tortillas filled with creamy cheese, seasoned chicken and savory bacon, perfection!
Garam Masala Cauliflower: Warm and fragrant Indian spices are beautifully paired with tender cauliflower for a perfect side dish to your curries and eastern inspired dishes!
Mexican Spinach Dip: This gluten free dip is my family’s favorite spinach and artichoke dip. It is loaded with veggies, rich and creamy cheeses, and is so good with fresh veggies or your choice of chips!
Perfect Cauliflower Rice: Tender cauliflower rice that is not overly soft and can hold its own when paired with anything you throw at it!
Note: This post contains Amazon affiliate links to the products and kitchen gear I love. If you click on a link and make a purchase, I receive a small commission at no cost to you. Thank you for supporting Almond Milk and Cookies!
I am a holistic nutritionist with an auto-immune disorder, a love of cooking, and a passion for holistic health.
Sharing what I make and eat with all of you…in hopes that you find inspiration here to fuel your body and feel your best with nutrient dense whole foods and clean eating.